On Breath Conference
Thu 6 July @ 10:00 am - Sun 9 July @ 5:00 pm
6-9 Jul 2017, Utrecht
Deadline for proposals: 31 August 2016
Arthur Rose (Durham University) and Stefanie Heine (University of Toronto), are organising ‘On Breath’ on behalf of the American Comparative Literature Association. Questions they hope to address include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- What are the contexts in which breath is discussed in various artforms and what role is attributed to it?
- How do representations and actualisations of breathing differ in diverse art forms and media?
- What shifts in the rendering of breath may be observed throughout the history of the respective arts?
- How is breath contextualized, politicised, gendered, queered – and how does it resist conceptualisations?
- How do the different arts attempt to incorporate the bodily process of breathing in their respective media and materialities?
- How are historical conceptions of breath re-negotiated?
- What are the poetological implications of breathing?